Awesomesauce

Sunday, September 25, 2011

Crazy Bread Lady

First I was the Pickle Lady.

Now I'm the Bread Lady. I've made 3 loaves in the past 3 days. I think it's this fall weather that makes me want to smell cinnamon & pumpkin pie spice in the kitchen ALL the time.

On Friday I made a loaf of cinnamon raisin bread, minus the raisins. I didn't realized I didn't have any until it was too late. Threw that in the bread machine on Friday night, set the delayed start timer, and woke up to delicious, warm, cinnamon-y bread.

Saturday I took the day off bread making because I was crazy busy. Football game. Driving my brother around to get a few last minute things for the homecoming dance. Small group. It was a long and tiresome day. Not what I needed after a crazy week again last week with the kiddos at school.

Today after church I threw a batch of pumpkin bread into the bread machine. I'd never made it in the bread machine before and I was interested to see how it would turn out. Once that got going, I set to making a handmade batch of pumpkin bread.

Well, here are the results:

Bread machine pumpkin bread = bread that tastes a bit like pumpkin, slightly sweet. Would probably be good topped with apple butter or regular butter and cinnamon sugar.

Handmade pumpkin bread = sweet and cake-like full of spice. Maybe top it with some butter. Maybe. It's that good by itself.

The difference lies in the ingredients. Take a look at the sugar and fat content in these puppies:

Bread machine: 1 tbsp sugar, 1 tbsp butter
Handmade: 3 cups sugar, 1 cup oil

Ummm yeah. That's why the handmade one is so much better. :) But don't worry. The handmade recipe yielded MUCH MUCH MORE! I got 1 loaf plus 24 muffins out of it. The bread machine recipe yielded one loaf.

All that being said. We're carb loading until it's gone. I'm sending some (most) of the muffins with Zach to work. The rest I will thoroughly enjoy.

Happy Fall!

Love,
Sarah

P.S. I'll update with some photos at a later time.

No comments:

Post a Comment