Awesomesauce

Tuesday, October 4, 2011

Toilet Paper Note / Smashed Finger Re-cap

Some days, my students really make me smile. For example, the day they started singing Down By The Bay during snack time and kept making up ridiculous rhymes, such as:

Down by the bay
where the watermelons grow
back to my home
I dare not go
for if I do
my mother will say,
did you ever see a fly wearing a tie

****enormous peals of laughter from the other students*****

or this one:

Student 1: I want to make up one!
Me: It's easy. You just pick to rhyming words. Like, "goat" and "boat" and put it in the last line. Have you ever seen a goat, sittin' in a boat.
Student 2: Teacher, that's boring.
Me: Oh, really.
Student 2: Yes. You should say, "Have you ever seen a goat KISSING a boat?!"
***Whole class laughs uproariously***

I tried but apparently I'm not funny enough for them so they kept making up their own crazy rhymes the whole snack time through. At least they were singing together and not fighting/arguing.

Friday was another one of those days where a student made me smile. She walked in the door and handed me a huge envelope that looked like this:


Then she says in the sweetest voice, "I made it just for you! But I had to use a marker because I didn't have a pen or pencil..."

When I opened it, this is what I saw. And tried very hard not to laugh her choice of paper....




I can't believe I forgot about this until yesterday. Ahhhh, 1st grade.

In other news, my mom is running the Grand Rapids Half Marathon on October 16th! She's been training for several months now but when she went to register, she decided not to because of the cost. However, several friends and my dad pitched in and paid her race registration fees and she's on to run again! I'm so excited for her! She ran an unofficial 13-miler last winter with some friends from church but this time it's the big show! I'm hoping to head down to watch, take pictures, and cheer her on. I hope I'm this motivated when I'm 51 years old. :) Mostly I just don't believe my mom is 51. Anyway, Mom, I hope you don't mind that whoever reads this knows your age. You probably don't because no one believes it.

Moving on.

My fingernail finally fell off! It was still attached by a small corner, however when I went to the bathroom at small group, I snagged the nail on my jeans and it ripped off. I groaned and grimaced because it started bleeding again. Thankfully, the hostess had a band-aid. A Lightning McQueen band-aid. It was sweet. Now I have this ugly little nub of a fingernail. I think it looks like a middle school boy's fingernail who has a nervous habit of chewing them down to nothing. I painted my other nails in an attempt to pretty them up but all I did was accentuate the half-nub-nail. I'm taking of the nail polish tonight.

Here's a series of shots from the smashed nail saga:

1-2 weeks after initial door slamming


1-2 months after the door slamming - it's hanging on by the top left corner


as of today, about 3 months after


Glad to be done with all this fingernail nonsense. Now I just hope it grows back in a normal shape and color....

Alright. I'm off to cut some things I laminated. Habitat unit in science requires lots of animal and plant pictures.

Love,
Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment