Awesomesauce

Monday, June 6, 2011

Discouragement

When spring time rolls around, most people are jumping for joy because it means summer is just around the corner. I, on the other had, dread it. It means Zach is gone ALL the time at work, the kids go crazy at school, and there seems to be umpteen-million things to do/parties to attend, etc. It's been really hard for me not to be discouraged. My mind gets to thinking and worrying about money (or lack of it) and how to spend it more wisely, student loans, teaching, coaching, lack of time with Zach, no friends, if my car is going to last through the day (which today, it died and Typer had to tow me home) no TIME to clean up anything around the house (sorry to our neighbors who had to look at 3 ft. weeds until recently), make a decent dinner, or just plain sit down and read a book. And it's hard to keep my thoughts positive when it feels like nothing is ever going to change. I was in the midst of a full blown woe-is-me, my life is so awful, I'm so lonely, pity party when we had a guest pastor come and preach the sermon on Sunday which gave me a good butt-kicking. He taught out of 2 Chronicles 20 and entitled the sermon, "Seven Ways to Refuel Your Courage." Thanks to Andy Girwarnauth, pastor in Guyana, South America for your teaching.

-Satan's most worn out tool = discouragement. Why discouragement? Because it fits EVERYONE. The enemy desires discouragement in your life because you DO NOTHING. You want to stay home and stay inactive. WORSHIP defeats discouragement in our lives! Discouragement is a lack of courage.

Seven Ways to Refuel Your Courage - 2 Chronicles 20:1-22

1. Resolve to inquire of the Lord (v. 1-5)
-seek HELP from the Lord

2. Remember that Power and Might are in God's Hands (v. 6)

3. Remind Yourself of the Personal Presence of God (v. 7-9)
-what a privilege to be in His close presence!
-OUR God, Abraham your FRIEND
-we cry out, He hears and saves us

4. Remove Your Focus from the Problem to the Power of God (v. 10-12)
-the most honest prayer we can pray: we don't know what to do, but our eyes are on You

5. Recover Your Courage and Strength from the Word of God (v. 13-15)
-not my battle, but God's

6. Receive Affirmation from God (v. 16-17)
-trust in a big God who fights the battle for me

7. Rekindle Your Courage through Proper Worship (v. 18-22)
- when you're discouraged, DON'T STAY HOME! When you don't feel like praying, going to church, fellowshiping, worshiping, that's when you need to the most
-Hold on in faith

http://www.trinityinfo.org/ - scroll down, left side of the page "Latest Sermon"

I encourage you to listen to his sermon online as soon as it becomes available, It was so encouraging and pulled my eyes up off of myself.

-Sarah

No comments:

Post a Comment